Firstly allow me to apologize for the lack of communication in respect to the USPS API changes. I know it must seem like such an amazingly simple thing to fix, but it was not. There were a few fixes by some community members on the forums but they were not robust enough to be implemented into core for an update. I would like to thank @petminky for his contributions and helping forum members facing USPS problems.
One of our local Shipping Guru’s @ecsquest, has been working on an Advanced Shipping Plugin for WP e-Commerce which will be integrated into 3.8 / 3.9 depending on time constraints. Part of that project involved providing a better USPS integration. This doesn’t mean he’s tweaked USPS, oh no, he’s re-written the entire thing! He has been working hard on this for the last month or so, and has been pulling a few all nighters to get this out as quickly as possible. So on behalf of the entire WP e-Commerce community I would like to thank Greg Gullet aka @ecsquest for his dedication and perseverance!
With that out of the way I would like to introduce…
Advanced Shipping Plugin v 0.3.0 – Beta 1
Important things to note: For USPS you must now have dimensions set on all products if you are going to use international shipping. The new USPS API requires this and with the implementation of ASH (Advanced Shipping) this is now possible and necessary.
Also, you can now take advantage of this system for US Domestic rating by choice, and another change is in how the user information is stored. With that in mind its time to update your site! Please back up (write down/ copy paste) your existing USPS User ID as it will not be picked up by USPS 2.0 from where the existing 1.0 system stores it.
USPS Version 2.0 details
- Uses the new RateV4 API for US Domestic shipping rates
- Uses the new IntlRateV2 API for International shipping rates
- New Advanced shipping in use for Internation shipping and optional for US Domestic rating
- Each item in the cart is rated as its own package. This provides the most accurate rate possible because it uses the dimensions as set on your product (Height, Width, Lenght and Weight) instead of using the total weight only. You will get a more accurate rate every time.
- USPS Password is no longer needed and has been removed from the interface
- Added link to the USPS webtools registration page
- Added checkbox to select using Advanced Shipping for US Domestic rating
- Added ability to control selected services via the admin panel
- Added international package type selection
- Added first class mail type selection
How it works (USPS):
- Simply add Advanced Shipping Plugin into your Plugins Directory and activate it like any other Plugin.
- Navigate to your Settings>Shipping page you will see a new USPS 2.0 option.
- Deselect your old USPS option and select the new USPS 2.0 option
- Click Edit to configure your USPS integration
- Test your new integration by adding some products to cart and proceeding to checkout.
Try it out Now !
? Download Advanced Shipping 0.3.0
? Download Advanced Shipping 0.3.1