Hi Cameron here with my second Plugin. A reworking of our Amazon S3 Plugin.
For those who don’t know Amazon provides a service called Simple Storage Service, or S3, which is a great service for hosting and storing your files online. This Plugin allows downloadable products that you have for sale on your WP e-Commerce site to be hosted within S3. This provides an alternative to hosting your digital products on your own server. Storing your files this way can be a great solution under a number of circumstances, mostly commonly;
- If your hosting plan only includes a limited amount of space and bandwidth. In which case you need this Plugin.
- If you are selling large files and your host does not handle downloading large files well – if your customers are finding that their downloads stop halfway then it’s probably a server time out. In which case you need this Plugin.
- Your servers download speed is slow and you want your costumers to download your products lightning fast. In which case you probably need this Plugin.
Here’s some background. Initially Dan wanted me to take our old Amazon S3 Plugin and get it to work with our new multifile digital downloads Plugin. After playing with it over a couple of days I was still confused about how the damn thing was supposed to work – the user interface was doing my head in. So it was decided that this time round we focus on making some user interface improvements. For those who are familiar with the old Amazon S3 Plugin here is what I changed.
New and improved features
- On the S3 Admin page I added some error checking so the plug-in will only work if your S3 details are correct, including helpful error messages and a nice green tick if everything is set up correctly.
- On the Add Product page I took the S3 functionality out of the downloadable products meta box and created a new meta box just for the S3 files. This means it is now possible to have a product that contains both digital files stored on your server as well as files stored on S3.
- This S3 meta box is very easy to use, it has two windows. One containing your digital files already associated with the product. The other showing a List of all available files from your supplied bucket (a bucket being An Amazon S3 folder). To associate a file on Amazon with your product you simple check and uncheck a selector to add and remove.
Coming soon features
- Integration with Multifile downloader Plugin
- File detection, if already associated with another product , prompt message
- Support for multiple buckets
Download Amazon S3 Plugin
Here it is folks. Feed Back Welcome!